A family favorite in our house hold any time of year is this chicken and leek pie recipe.
The children love it, hubby loves it and I am sure to cook it when we have guests!
It is so simple to make and you can add your own twist on the ingredients, I like to add mushrooms.
I always serve it with balsamic roasted vegetables and finish it off with either chocolate self saucing pudding or my favorite sticky date pudding – recipes to follow !
I do this recipe by memory I do not remember where I got it from and I add extra ingredients such as stock and seasoning to taste so don’t be shy you can’t muck it up!
Serves 4 plus Takes 1 1/2 hours to make plus chilling time
2 tbsp of butter
1 leek fine chopped
1 Roast chicken meat removed and chopped roughly
4 tbsp of plain flour
1 1/2 cups of chicken stock
1/2 cup of white wine
150ml of thickened cream
1 tsp of tarragon
2 sheets of puff pastry
egg to wash pastry for browning
* Pre heat oven at 180 degrees c
* Heat butter in the pan till melted
* Add the Leek and cook until it is translucent
* Add flour and stir to combine
* Add chicken stock and wine slowly stirring as it is added. ( Add extra flour if needed as it needs to be of a thick paste consistency) season to taste.
* Add cream and stir through to combine
* Add the cut roast chicken to the pot and stir through
* Add tarragon to taste
* Grease the pie dish with a little butter and place the base pastry sheet in the pie dish
* Place combined ingredients in the pie dish, cover with second sheet of pastry cutting two small holes in the top to let steam escape.
* Beat egg with a little salt and brush over pie
* Bake for 40 – 45 minutes or until pastry is golden
picture from delicious magazine